Individuals that have held refugee or asylum status for at least one year may be eligible for lawful permanent residency.
You should apply for lawful permanent residency on Asylee Form I-485, application to Register Permanent Residence of Adjust Status. You must have been in the U.S. under asylee status for at least one year.
In addition to Form I-485, the following documents and forms are also required:
- Fingerprint fee (if you are between the ages of 14 and 79)
- Form I-485 filing fee
- Form G-28 (if applicable), signed by both you and your attorney/representative
- 2 photos in an envelope stapled to lower left corner of Form I-485. Please write your name and A-number (if you know it) in light pencil on the back of each photo.
- Signed Form G-325, if you are age 14 or older.
- Form I-693 Medical with Vaccination Supplement. An INS authorized civil surgeon must conduct this medical examination and complete the form.
- Evidence of Asylee Status. This may include a copy of your Form I-94 and a legible copy of the letter granting you asylum.
- Form IRS-9003, optional.
- Form I-602, Application by Refugee for Waiver on Grounds of Excludability, if applicable.
- Evidence that you have been in the U.S. for at least one year.
- Proof of any absences from the U.S. since you have been granted asylum.
- A birth certificate or other birth record.
- Proof of any legal name changes made since you were granted asylum status.
Download Immigration Forms at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.Related Links